Dana is combining proven technologies with new developments to deliver next-generation metallic bipolar plate solutions. Our unique manufacturing approach offers a cost-effective method to meet the stringent power density, reliability, and cost requirements of fuel cell stack original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).
Applications for Dana’s technologies include bipolar plates for polymer electrolyte fuel cells. Markets for our state-of-the-art components and processes extend to power units, passenger cars, and transportation.
- In-house expertise and quality control
- Testing base material for formability, material composition, and electrochemical stability
- Product analysis - High-precision dimensional measurements, functional analysis (pressure film and force deflection curves), and in-situ stack tests
- Post-mortem analysis of bipolar plates, membrane electrode assembly (MEA), and gaskets
- Computer-aided design (CAD) - Integrated product design to meet customer needs, transfer of customer specifications into metal bipolar plate technology
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) - Design optimization of fluid flow on header region, on plate level, and full-size stack as well as optimal distribution and balancing of hydrogen, air, and coolant
- Finite element analysis (FEA) - In-depth analysis to fulfill customer needs on sealing performance, simulation of plate forming process, and force distribution and balance between plate, MEA, and stack end plates
- High-precision, high-speed stamping
- Full-dimensional accuracy to CAD
- Sophisticated laser welding – ready for mass manufacturing
- Durable, high-performance, active area coating at a cost that is commercially viable
- Unique, customizable elastic bead seal technology offers ultra-low permeation, increases power density, and reduces cost
- ISO 9001:2008 and ISO/TS 16949:209 certified